Sunday, March 29, 2009

Google Search: Bottom's Up

(first published Nov 11, 2008 in The Freewheeler blog)

I suggest Google put its Page of Results navigation (as seen here)

At both the TOP and the BOTTOM of each result page. Google tends to put such navigation only on the bottom. For example, I was in Google Calendar and chose to view calendar details/settings. Within the setting page, I couldn't find a way to exit -- and return to the calendar. The link "Return to Calendar" is at the bottom.
It would be convenient to have the option of jumping through results pages without having to scroll through each page. It would also give the results pages more consistency:
The text input field resides at both the top and the bottom. Actually, different versions of the search input appear in the top versus the bottom.
The top just has the simple search input field:

The bottom has search tips, filtering options and language tools:


Another issue, which I discussed in an earlier post, is the ambiguity of what the links "Web" "Images" "Maps" do. Are they links to other Google products/services (nouns), or search result filters (i.e. "show me results within Images."). If you experiment, you will find inconsistent results. For example, if I click "Gmail" it doesn't search my gmail for "gold" (search term), but if I click "Maps" it does. And how does the set of links above the Google logo differ from the set of links below the logo?




No comments: