Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The SmartSeller

The SmartSeller is a shopping cart program developed by Neil McCorrison and me in 2000. I handled the UI and requirements; Neil did the code, in Mivascript, which was then a viable programming language. We based the 'cart' on the then market leader, Miva Market.



Our program was superior in several ways: it was web-based, it allowed for more categorization of products, it offered several ways to calculate shipping costs.... and there was continual work on the program into 2004. I was successful in leading Neil to implement several changes so that the program could provide for a businesses' web site (with domain support), and that it could be used by a "no-tech" businessperson as well as a web developer.


In 2001, I found a way to forward shopping cart orders to fax machines (using Ureach.com). I then made a revised version of The SmartSeller for restaurants, because I'd heard from many of them that they do not have a computer near the kitchen but do take fax orders. I was able to sign up a few restaurants, and tried to leverage that to create a Food Ordering site as part of a portal for Charleston, South Carolina. (inCharleston.net)


I am proud to have been an early integrator with Paypal.com; to have helped many small businesses get going online with a stable system; and to have worked with Neil, who is an outstanding developer and one of the good guys.

You can see the marketing web site for The SmartSeller via The Way Back Machine. (due to a problem at my old host, the web site was lost. If you would like the code for TSS, send me a note).

See also: inCharleston.net via The Way Back Machine

No comments: